Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Keeping the Artisans Happy




          The artisans are the bread and meat of your operation. Without them you have no show. It is to your benefit to go the extra effort to give them what they want. This doesn't mean you must cater to their every whim and outrageous request, that is the last trap you want to fall into! It simply means that you must recognize the fact that as the show promoter they are your primary customers. You are promising to provide the venue for them to shine and in doing so your other audience - the buying public - will also be happy customers by extension.



            Far too many show promoters fail this basic concept. They treat their artisans like second-class citizens who should be grateful to even be allowed in this show and couldn't care less if they are unhappy. "Someone else will take your spot next year if you don't like it" has been heard all too often. This is a huge mistake on the promoters part. The artist circuit is a close-knit bunch and word gets around. It should also be obvious that happy artisans are, well, HAPPY! That happiness is transmitted to the buying public. If someone greets you with a smile and is obviously enjoying themselves that is infectious. By the same token a bunch of grouchy, disgruntled artisans muttering under their breath about the ineptitude of Cruella De Promoter is also infectious. Do yourself a huge favor and do not alienate your artisans - it is the surest ingredient for success or failure in your show.

            So how do you alienate them? Let me give you an example from personal experience: I once did a Christmas Crafts show. It seemed like a really good one that I really wanted to do. I had heard of it in years prior, had even gone to it as a customer and had a good time. It seemed like a great opportunity and I was thrilled when I was selected. I received no advance information beyond a phone call saying I was accepted and my booth would be 8x10. I waited in vain for a pre-show packet with info on parking, loading, set-up times, advertising, etc. One week before the show I got worried and called the contact number. Answering machine. My call was never returned. I spoke with another artist who said last year set-up was 3 hours before opening. So I showed up on time. We were not even let in until two hours before opening, so everyone was scrambling to get unloaded. Trying to find a staff member was useless. My 8x10 booth was reduced to 6x10 by the artist next to me who had a huge site-built faux-barn thing. Trying to find a staff member to address this was useless. My 8' front table had to be  turned sideways, thus throwing my whole carefully planned display into disarray.  I tried to make the best of it, rearranging my wares into the new lay-out, but halfway through setting up customers started showing up. "What, opening is not for another hour, we're not ready!" The show promoter was letting people in early. Suffice it to say the day was miserable after that. I lost money on that show. Other artisans lost money. Many of us vowed to never do it again and didn't. That show lasted another two years and degenerated into a schlocky flea market before finally folding altogether.

            How could it have been better? Either include a simple letter stating the answers to basic questions in your contract or send it out on acceptance. If you list a contact number - return the calls. If set-up starts at 6 am, make certain you unlock the doors at 6 am. Have a few staff on hand to assist and answer questions. Make absolutely certain no one is infringing on anyone else's space! They paid for their space - they do not have to move over to accommodate booth hogs. Never, ever, ever let the public in until the stated opening time. Ever. Announce 10 minutes ahead of opening that the doors will open at x o'clock and everyone should be ready - then open them on the dot and not one minute sooner.

Pay attention to the needs of your artisans. They can make you or break you.

No comments:

Post a Comment