Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A lifetime of events

  I have had a love affair with fairs, festivals, events and shows for over 30 years. My fascination with the industry started at the age of 16 when I got my first ever job - a ride operator at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Saugus, CA. This was a kids summer dream job!

I fell in love with the fun, the lights, the excitement, laughter and magic of being a part of a place where people could come to relax, have fun and spend time with family and friends. What a wonderful thing to be paid to do! I figured I had the best job in the world. Too bad I graduated high school and became an adult.


Scots dance, Public Domain, A. Crane (www.byways.org)


 It took a few years, but after several mundane career choices it occurred to me that I should get back to the job that had made me happiest. Starting as a jewelry merchant at Renaissance Faires and music festivals, where I also did the occasional belly dance routine. I raised my five children while supporting the family working the fairs. Eventually I moved up to state fairs, and other ever larger events. I did several years as a food vendor with an on-site bakery and a few more working fair security. I worked the parking lots, the ticket booths and the souvenir stands. I did a stint as a Carny barker on the midway. It all gave me an in-depth understanding of the industry that few people ever attain.

Gradually I became involved in the behind the scenes organizing and management and in the past 25 years have worked in virtually all levels of the industry. I have been on the committees for charity fundraisers, civic organization conventions, school carnivals and county fairs. I have organized everything from a themed cocktail party for 100 to a base-wide celebration luncheon commemorating the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force for 1,700 personnel! I have planned weddings and catered numerous functions large and small and loved every aspect of them all.

They say to be happy and successful you should follow your joy. You should build your work around what makes you happy. Being in charge of the organization, planning and execution of events is what makes me happy. Being an Event Producer is my joy.

It is a lot of work, it takes a great deal of organizing and it has it's fair share of headaches and pitfalls. I do not recommend it for anyone who is not happy working under pressure!

It is all totally worth it when you stand in the midst of your happy crowd on a sunny Saturday and know that you made their fun possible!